Saturday, August 9, 2008

Final Jeopardy! 8/8/08


Category: Colonial American Government

Clue: From the Latin word for "fortified town," this term later referred to a person -- the representative of a town or borough.


Answer: Burgess


I got it wrong. I thought it was a mayor.

And if I could segue into another unrelated "burgess" -- namely, writer Anthony Burgess -- I've always thought it was cool how he absolutely hated the fact that he was best known for A Clockwork Orange. Up until his death, he was resentful that it had become his definitive novel and would've preferred that he be remembered for some of his other work. I don't know why, though. I've read The Doctor is Sick and it's nothing amazing. But anyway, I can only hope to be as successful myself. Just imagine, he writes a world-famous book (which later becomes a world-famous movie) and he was actually mad about that. That'd be like, oh I don't know, Tag Team telling people that they're tired of talking about "Whoomp! (There It Is)" and that they'd much rather discuss their other accomplishments. Haha, it's so wonderfully pretentious. I really hope that I do something that makes me insanely famous someday and then defiantly refuse to acknowledge whatever that one thing is.

No comments: