Thursday, August 7, 2008

Final Jeopardy! 8/7/08

Category: Scientists

Clue: In 2007, this 1962 American Nobel Laureate became the first person to receive his own personal genome map.


Answer: James Watson


Ah, okay, the double-helix DNA guy. I really had no clue. I blurted out Marie Curie, but that's just because that was the only remotely-scientific name I could come up with before time expired. I'm not a student of science, nor have I ever shown a slightly-more-than-casual interest in that field, but I still think it's really cool how he and his partner Francis Crick discovered the structure of DNA. That's such a lofty, far-and-away endeavor to me, I can't fathom how someone would go about accomplishing it. To me, trying to figure out what DNA looks like makes about as much sense as trying to figure out what sunshine or imagination or a dream would look like. It's just so hazy and abstract. I wouldn't know where to begin.

No comments: